“Mommy Makeover Surgery” is a term used in cosmetic surgery to describe the rejuvenation of the breasts and abdomen. The objective is the correction of some physical changes that occur during and after pregnancy. Fatty tissue accumulates in the breasts, abdomen, flanks, hips, back, buttocks and thighs.
Most women gain weight during pregnancy, while it can be anywhere on the body, it typically affects their breasts and stomachs. The breasts grow not only because of the weight gain, but also due to the natural evolution necessary for nursing. The mommy makeover surgery is the solution to regain your pre-pregnancy better looks.
The skin of the abdomen stretches during pregnancy, which causes skin collagen to break and the appearance of stretch mark. The stretch marks are red and appear in the middle and lower abdomen. This surgery is common in cases where weight loss after delivery isn’t even distributed which results in more weight lost from breasts, waist and abdomen than in other parts of the body. This creates the appearances of sagging breasts and a protruding abdomen. Mommy makeover surgery will regain the looks patients had before pregnancy.
While it depends on each individual case, mommy makeover surgery may consist of: breast augmentation, breast lift, tummy tuck and or liposuction. Whether only one or all this procedure will be performed will depend on your needs wishes and final decision.
Q: Before Mommy Makeover Surgery
It’s important to have a productive discussion with a Board Certified Cosmetic Surgeon. They will give you attainable expectations and, after setting a date, give you a list of the preoperative instructions, including:
- First and upmost, patients must stop using tobacco products for at least six weeks before the surgery and two weeks after the surgery. Since smoking can produce serious complication by inhibiting the flow of oxygen through the body and negatively affecting the healing and recovery time.
- Stop taking any blood thinning, aspirin, certain anti-inflammatory drugs, vitamins and minerals supplements and some herbal medications that could be responsible for increased bleeding.
- Keep hydrated. Hydration is very important before and after surgery for a fast and safe recovery.
- If any previous Mommy Makeover Surgery included a tummy tuck, then the surgeon will tell you to wait. A new pregnancy before the complete recovery of the previous surgery can produce an earlier separation of the vertical abdomen muscles. Cosmetic surgeons consider that will take a waiting time of at least six months or more after surgery for your body to be back to normality.
Q: After Surgery
Patients can go home the same day, but that can change depending on the selected procedures, breast, abdomen both or any other, your cosmetic surgeon may decide for you to stay overnight at the Clinic. Recovery time at home in most cases takes from 2 to 4 weeks.
Typically, patients can go back to normal activities after two to four weeks of recovery, but this subject should be discussed with the surgeon for a final decision. Some patients have a fast recovery and feel so good that the cosmetic surgeon agrees, if their job is not stressful, to have them return to work one or two weeks after the surgery.
Depending on the type of surgery and the procedure performed, recovery time will usually vary from 2 to 4 weeks. This period can go without almost any unpleasant happening by complying with the following recommendations:
- Sleeping on your back and keeping legs slightly bent at the hips minimizes pain and result in a thinner scar.
- Avoiding heavy lifting, running or/and jogging for two weeks after complete recovery
- Call the doctor immediately if there is any swelling, pain, or anything unusual around the incision site.
- After showering, make sure your incision is dry and replace your abdominal compressor garment.
- You surgeon will schedule an appointment with him within one week after the surgery for a follow-up revision and will recommend anything that they may deem necessary for a fast and healthy recovery.
Q: The Best Time to have a Mommy Makeover Surgery
If you aren’t planning on having children any time soon and your weight has been stable for a reasonable length of time, then it is a good time to consider having Mommy Makeover Surgery. Any major weight change after surgery may negatively affect the expected good results.